NO POWER TO YOUR POWER POINTS? HOW TO CHECK YOUR SAFETY SWITCH AND TRY TO SORT THE PROBLEM OUT BEFORE YOU NEED TO CALL AN ELECTRICIAN
Safety switches are installed to keep you safe – but sometimes an appliance that is faulty and needs repairing or replacing can cause the safety switch to switch off – here are a few simple step to try to remedy the problem.
- Open your electrical panel and look for your Safety switch
- See if the safety switch will reset to the “ON” position – if if cant be reset:
- Physically UNPLUG all appliances – turning them off wont work as the earth is still connected you need to UNPLUG all of them– remember the fridge, iron, sullage pumps, water pumps, Toasters, Kettles etc.
- Reset safety switch to the ON position.
- Individually plug in each appliance until the safety switch trips to determine the faulty appliance. It is a good idea to plug in a television or radio first – so if the safety switch swithces “OFF” again – you know which appliance is the culprit!
If the safety switch trips with no appliances connected, the installation cabling may be damaged and you will need to call in a licensed electrical contractor.